How to Complete Your Notice of Intended Marriage

Written by Sacha Clark – Civil Marriage Celebrant

So, you are getting married? Congratulations! Wondering what are the next steps to make sure you can make it down the aisle? Well, aside for colours, themes and venues there is some legal paperwork that needs to be taken care of to ensure your ceremony is recognised by Births, Deaths & Marriages in your state. As a civil celebrant practicing in Queensland and New South Wales, I can help you with all of this, but before we chat here is an overview of what is required (as at 31st Dec 2023).

redlands coast weddings brisbane bayside weddings stradbroke island weddings

Note: as of the 31st Dec 2023 celebrants are no longer able to remotely witness the signing of your NOIM. What does this mean for you? You need to arrange for someone to witness your signatures in person prior to submitting the NOIM to your celebrant. The witness must be from the authorised list of witnesses (see below). This includes a civil celebrant, we just need to meet in person to do this, back to IRL for the moment! It is good to note that you can still complete the NOIM remotely with your celebrant so you have a completed NOIM ready for signatures to be witnessed, or you can complete the NOIM yourself prior to getting your signatures witnessed – what ever works best for you. Just know you do have options!

  1. Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM)

The first and most important legal document is the Notice of Intended Marriage or NOIM.

The form can either be completed with your celebrant or by downloading the forms from the Attorney General’s Department Website and having it witnessed by an authorised witness.

If you are in Australia and completing the forms yourself, you can have your NOIM witnessed by one of the following authorised witnesses:

  • an authorised Marriage Celebrant
  • a justice of the peace
  • a Commissioner for Declarations under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959
  • a barrister or solicitor
  • a legally qualified medical practitioner
  • a member of the Australian Federal Police or the police force of a State or Territory.

If you’re overseas and unable to be in Australia before the NOIM is due, you will need one of the following authorities to witness:

  • an Australian Diplomatic Officer
  • an Australian Consular Officer
  • a Notary public
  • an employee of the Commonwealth authorised under paragraph 3(c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955
  • an employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under paragraph 3(d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955.

Please note, if you are filling the forms without your celebrant, it is best to fill it out BLOCK letters using BLACK pen or by using the dynamic PDF version to ensure everything is legible.

The NOIM must be completed, signed and witnessed at least one month and no earlier than 18 months prior to your wedding day.

There are several things required for this form to be completed correctly.

  • Details of the Couple: full name, address, place of birth, conjugal status
  • Details of the Parents: full name and name at birth, place of birth

Identification You Need to Present to Your Celebrant or Witness:

  • Your original birth certificate and drivers’ licence
  • OR your original current or expired (but not cancelled) passport

And if you’ve been married before, they’ll need to sight:

  • Your original divorce paper from the court
  • OR a death certificate if you are a widow or widower

How do you ‘lodge’ it?

Simple, the lodgement of your NOIM is when you send the completed forms to your celebrant. If you choose to work with me, we will do this piece of paperwork together at our first official meeting so all you need to organise is your pieces of identification.

If you have questions get in touch. I am always happy to help.